linakv

linakv

The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
Deborah Cartmell
Pathways to Language: From Fetus to Adolescent (The Developing Child)
Kyra Karmiloff, Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Why I Write
George Orwell
A Dance With Dragons
George R.R. Martin
The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition)
Anonymous, Muhsin Mahdi, Husain Haddawy
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Les Misérables: Volume One
Victor Hugo
Dramaturgy and Performance
Cathy Turner, Synne Behrndt

Shatter Me

Shatter Me  - Tahereh Mafi This has been raved about in the youtube community, but I was always sort of "meh, should I buy it? I have so many other books I want to buy first..." But then I found it at an used bookstore, in English, here in Norway. Shocking, right? So I bought it really cheap, and I started to read it, because let's face it. I'm hanging behind on my 50 books a year goal, and reading [b:A Storm of Swords|6307964|A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)|George R.R. Martin|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1329339720s/6307964.jpg|1164465] isn't going to push me along.

As the three stars hint at, I liked this book. And that was it. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. It was a bit better than okay, and should probably have gotten a 2.5 star review. But alas, there are no points on goodreads, so I decided to be generous instead of greedy.

I have quite a lot to say about this one, so get a drink. I really should be making video-reviews, but I can't be bothered to edit.

First of all there is the issue with the instalove. Well, it wasn't as much instalove as it was instalust, but whatever. She is seventeen years old and haven't talked to anyone in nearly a year. So of course she wants to jump the bones of the first person to walk through that door. I admire Tahereh Mafi though, for actually writing a main character that has sexual attractions. I despise every virgin-preaching main character of popular YA-novels so much - I think I have brushed over this in a previous review. However, I don't really like how she never even could use the word boob or breast. "Traced the curve of my body" no, he was touching your breasts. Then there is the issue with the love triangle. Because believe me, there will be one. From the moment she first said "I hate you" to Warner, I knew. It's so obvious it's actually hurting me a little bit. Because wow, there is a war going on, and there is a rebellion, and I'm going to fall in love with two different guys - I totally have time for that. Stop it. I need strong female leads that aren't defined by the men they date. And Adam is too nice. I can't really trust him, because everything seems to be too convenient for him to be the good guy. I do not understand how Juliette can trust him so easily.

Speaking of Juliette. Here is an issue I have with her. She is not flawed. Except for the fact that she trusts Adam way too easily, and is acting like a spoiled little brat, thinking she's making a point, she is not flawed. No, your special abilities does not count. Why are never the main characters in YA-series flawed? There are so few books/series with flawed main characters, and this bugs me immensly. Let me see how you're not so good that you fall down and cry at the sight of a persian rug. I want to know what your real flaws are. The list of my own is so long I don't know what to do with myself most of the time, and I for one, want a character I can recognize myself in.

A few points on the writing style. I liked the lining out and how the structuring of sentences was a little odd at times. That was plausible as a train of thought thing for Juliette. I really liked that actually. I had a few issues with the fact that show don't tell wasn't applied. I really need that in a novel for me to really like it. She was describing how people were, not showing us how they were, so I would like to see that in the next one. And there are sort of ridiculous descriptions of Juliettes feelings throughout the book. "I was hot butter"(something along those lines. "I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe." What the actual f? I mean, pleaaase don't try to be so damn poetic. Because while some of these were pretty good, most of them were pretty ridiculous.

A final word. I liked the plot, it was plausible, and a tad bit overdramatic, but I kind of like that. I feel that I'm not sure who I can trust out of all of the boys, but that's just me. I hope that in the sequel and the following book, there will be more women. Because I want to see how Juliette can interact with other women. I know she's ridonk-sexy, and every man wants to bang her. Okay. How is she around women? Do they like her, does she like them? So yes, I will read the next one, I just don't know when.