linakv

linakv

The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
Deborah Cartmell
Pathways to Language: From Fetus to Adolescent (The Developing Child)
Kyra Karmiloff, Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Why I Write
George Orwell
A Dance With Dragons
George R.R. Martin
The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition)
Anonymous, Muhsin Mahdi, Husain Haddawy
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Les Misérables: Volume One
Victor Hugo
Dramaturgy and Performance
Cathy Turner, Synne Behrndt
The Threepenny Opera - Bertolt Brecht, Kurt Weill, John Willett, Ralph Manheim The Threepenny Opera is a play I went to see in October/November of 2012. I instantly fell in love with it, and had to read the script.Macheat - better known as Mac The Knife - marries Polly Peachum, the daughter of the King of the beggars, Mr Peachim. Mac is a man that has several sentences on him, but they never have enough evidence to cash him in, and with him marrying Mr Peachums daughter and all, Mr Peachum sees it as his task to get Mac hanged. However, he meets obstacles on his way when it turns out that Mackie and the chief of the police - Tiger Brown are old friends from the army. However, beeing a very forseeable man, Macheat gets betrayed by his whores, and Mr Peachum is about to see his dreams come true... Or is he?When Brecht wrote his political theatres, he wanted people to feel that they wanted to go out and change the world. For me, the Threepenny Opera did just that. It's a story about humans inner greed, no matter who they are, and the famous quote "Who is the greater criminal: he who robs a bank or he who founds one?", from Mac's death monologue, is known as a critique to the society.Everybody should go see this, or read the script at least. Even though it was written in a damaged Germany in 1931 - it's still a plot that is very relevant for today.