linakv

linakv

The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
Deborah Cartmell
Pathways to Language: From Fetus to Adolescent (The Developing Child)
Kyra Karmiloff, Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Why I Write
George Orwell
A Dance With Dragons
George R.R. Martin
The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition)
Anonymous, Muhsin Mahdi, Husain Haddawy
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Les Misérables: Volume One
Victor Hugo
Dramaturgy and Performance
Cathy Turner, Synne Behrndt
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis Narnia never had the same meaning to me when I was a child. Partially because I was always obsessed with Harry Potter, and everything I read, was just to find something new that were almost the same as Harry Potter. Sure, I read the Chronicles a couple of times, but it was mostly because I was bored with my Potters. When I now re-discovered Narnia, at the age of 18, I realized that so much had changed. I saw all the Christian parallells int he books, and were close to flabbergasted. I discussed it with my Religions teacher, and he completely agreed with all the parallells I had discovered. Reading the books again, also made me realize how much I have changed over the eight-to-ten years since the last time I read them.I like to think that there is a Real Earth somewhere, just as it is a Real Narnia within Narnia. It is a bigger, better and more beautiful Narnia, and I hope that there will be a bigger, better and more beautiful Eart as well. I'm not at all religios, but I refuse to believe that when we die, everything will go pitch black. I always wondered where my idea of when we die, and if we go to heaven, or a heaven-like place, we will be in the age we felt most comfortable. Of course, this comes from The Last Battle. Digory and Polly, who were really old when they died, were "re-born" in their twenties. I like to think that will happen when we die as well. Or else, eternity will be packed full of drooling, pooping oldies.This turned out to be some sort of rant of my beliefs. Oh, well.Anyway, when I read it, especially the Horse and his Boy, I realized that "this is the middle-east!". Of course there are parallells, but I didn't understand it until half-way in. They wear turbans, and drink coffee, and pray to a satanic God - or the oppsite of Aslan. The thing is, that is very well the way some people look at Muslims, the people without the knowledge of them, that is. Especially when Lewis wrote Narnia, there wasn't a lot of knowledge around it, and say, 1001 Night, learned us that the Arabic lands wear turbans, drink coffee, ride camels and are generally barbaric. Some old people still think that to this day, which baffles me every time. I can see why they thought so in the 1940's, but not today. Not when we have TV and radio and Internet.I think that everyone should read the Chronicles, not because of all the discussions about religion one can have, but because it is pure pleassure to read it. Even though it is written for children, it is perfectly okay to read it as a grown up. As I just mentioned, I found more pleassure in reading it now, than what I did when I was twelve. It is a truly magnificent story, and it shows us the importance of being loyal, and loving. It shows the greatness of adventure, but also the downsides. Narnia is really a book for the lot. For kids it may be the talking beasts that is the most exciting, or the fact that "Peter is so cool, I wish I could be like him", and for grown ups, it can be all of the other aspects of the books. I think that everyone could find joy in this book, and it is my recommendation that everyone should at least open it up, and read the first two chapters of The Magician's Nephew.