linakv

linakv

The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
Deborah Cartmell
Pathways to Language: From Fetus to Adolescent (The Developing Child)
Kyra Karmiloff, Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Why I Write
George Orwell
A Dance With Dragons
George R.R. Martin
The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition)
Anonymous, Muhsin Mahdi, Husain Haddawy
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Les Misérables: Volume One
Victor Hugo
Dramaturgy and Performance
Cathy Turner, Synne Behrndt
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky “I just need to know that someone out there listens and understands and doesn’t try to sleep with people even if they could have. I need to know that these people exist.”A teenager, calling himself Charlie, is writing to a “friend” who sounded like a nice person to talk to. Charlie does not want this “friend” trying to figure out who is he, or to find him. Charlie has just begun high school, and his best (and only) friend has recently committed suicide. Charlie has an Aunt named Helen, whom died some years ago, and she was his favorite person in the whole word, but he can’t talk about her death as that won’t do Charlie any good. Charlie isn’t very popular, but he soon makes two friends, Sam and her stepbrother Patrick. They both act very much as advisors when it c0mes to Charlies life, and they introduce him to many people, alcohol and drugs. This is the same time as his English teacher Bill introduces him to books, and wants him to write essays which he will grade outside of class. At the beginning of the book, Charlie is referred to as a wallflower, because he is an observer who understands things that other people may not see, but the people around him is encouraging him to participate and do things.“I just know that another kid has felt this. This one time when it’s peaceful outside, and you’re seeing things move, and you don’t want to, and everyone is asleep. And all the books you’ve read have been read by other people. And all the songs you’ve loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that’s pretty to you is pretty to other people.”The only reason I bought the book in the first place, was because there was going to be a film about it with Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. Which of course, makes my life a lot better. Of course, I loved the book a lot more than I expected.Charlie is a very troubled boy, after his best friends suicide and his aunts death, he doesn’t know where he belong in the world. So when two seniors take him under his wings, things change drastically in his life. Charlie is a boy with a lot of feelings, and naming those feelings is what is so special about him.“This moment will be just another story someday”The thing about Charlie, is that he is too young, or too naïve to fully understand what he is doing throughout the book. When he takes LSD, he things that he should never do it again. But he doesn’t think that he should never have done it in the first place. Of course, drugs is exciting, and he is a teenager, and teenagers like to try things out, but I think that if he hadn’t been so much of an observer being told to participate, he wouldn’t have done it. He does what is expected of him.“We accept the love we think we deserve”When it comes to love in the story, Charlie has two romances. He has at one point a girlfriend named Mary-Elizabeth, and he ends it very rudely with her, but the true love throughout the book, is Sam. The moment Charlie meets Sam, he falls for her, and he tells her so. Because that’s the kind of person he is. It’s not a very complicated love story, he falls in love, she doens’t like him in that way… We’ve seen it all before, but despite this, Charlie manages to have another girlfriend, and when Sam gets a boyfriend, he doesn’t mind. Charlie understands that loving a person, means that you want them to be happy, even if it isn’t with you. I think that is pretty impressive for a fifteen year old.“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”I really loved this book and I will probably read it again and again until it falls appart. It’s a book I couldn’t put down when I picked it up, and I thought about the feeling infitnite, and I thought, I want that. Charlie has a tragic story of course, as he is both sad and happy, and doesn’t understand why that might be, but it’s kind of a smiley-story anyway, because it doesn’t end like you would have expected it to.