linakv

linakv

The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
Deborah Cartmell
Pathways to Language: From Fetus to Adolescent (The Developing Child)
Kyra Karmiloff, Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Why I Write
George Orwell
A Dance With Dragons
George R.R. Martin
The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition)
Anonymous, Muhsin Mahdi, Husain Haddawy
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Les Misérables: Volume One
Victor Hugo
Dramaturgy and Performance
Cathy Turner, Synne Behrndt

The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Sidney Paget, Julian Wolfreys,  Arthur Conan Doyle Giving this one four stars because of two major points: one, it is at some points in the story horribly slow, and two, there are some stories I simply did not like. I'm not going to talk too much about those though.

There are two stories in particular which I absolutely loved, and one that I liked a great deal. This sounds so formal.

A Scandal in Bohemia
This might be because I started reading this book right after I watched the show, and still had the distinct image of the actors in mind when I read this, but I absolutely loved this. It had intrigue, it had action and it was very mysterious. I love how I had no idea how Bohemia used to actually be a country until I read this, and how the story resolved itself.

The Silver Blaze
This story has got to be my favourite Sherlock Holmes story so far. It was fast paced, funny, and contains one of the most well-known quotes of the whole canon:

"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

The Final Problem
At this point Conan Doyle was tired of writing Sherlock Holmes so he kills him off. Sorry for not spoiler-proofing this, but the book is a hundred years old. I thought this particular story should be a lot more fleshed out, at the length of [b:A Study in Scarlet|102868|A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)|Arthur Conan Doyle|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348362236s/102868.jpg|1997473] for example (which is incredibly long, with a lot of shortcomings). The whole 20-something pages felt a bit rushed, but were certainly exciting.

I see from my review of [b:A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four|76120|A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes #1, 2)|Arthur Conan Doyle|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328865697s/76120.jpg|25423785] that I was happy not to have seen the Cumberbatch adaptation of Sherlock. Oh, what a sweet summer child I was cackles manically about Johnlock in the background