linakv

linakv

The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
Deborah Cartmell
Pathways to Language: From Fetus to Adolescent (The Developing Child)
Kyra Karmiloff, Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Why I Write
George Orwell
A Dance With Dragons
George R.R. Martin
The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition)
Anonymous, Muhsin Mahdi, Husain Haddawy
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Les Misérables: Volume One
Victor Hugo
Dramaturgy and Performance
Cathy Turner, Synne Behrndt

City of Glass

City of Glass  - Cassandra Clare First order of buisness: First book in 2014.

Second order of buisness: The book in itself.

Once upon a time I fell in love with the world of Shadowhunters and everything about them. Five and a half books later, I needed a break. That break lasted almost two weeks.

In my review of [b:City of Ashes|1582996|City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)|Cassandra Clare|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1369452325s/1582996.jpg|1575860], I wrote that it felt more like a filler book. And that was okay, because it was the second book in a series, and I generally never expect much from second books in series. But when the start of this just felt like an extension of the previous book, I wanted to chuck it at the wall. Litterally pick up my book and chuck it at the wall. So I put it down at about 50%, and didn't have motivation to pick it up for a week or so. That's never good for a book. But it's not the book that is bad, it is I. I'm terribly bored of the Shadowhunterworld, and terribly bored of Clary and her very static personality.

After my mini-hiatus I picked up the book again, and suffered through about 50 pages before I got in to the story again. And it turned out, it wasn't half-bad. Good enough for a four-star review anyway. I don't know if I will pick up the rest of the books right away, but I definitively plan on reading them. How can I not? In [b:City of Heavenly Fire|8755785|City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)|Cassandra Clare|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1380223855s/8755785.jpg|13629068] Tessa will make an apearance, and I need some more of her in my life.

But anyway. When I got past my slump, I quite enjoyed the book. The plot twisted and turned in some ways I didn't expect at all. And I have to admit, some of the dialogue was pretty funny, especially the haggling between Jace and Simon, and every insult meant at the other. It's very entertaining to read.

Something that did get my pissed-of-motor running was the "we all got light and dark"-speech.

Simons /Cassandra Clare's

“People aren't born good or bad. Maybe they're born with tendencies either way, but its the way you live your life that matters.”

And this is Sirius Black/Warner Bros. Rowling did not write this particular piece of quote, but it's basically the same.

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."

Can someone please explain this to me. Yes, I've read all the material on Clare and her deliberatly stealing from TV-shows and writers and writing Harry Potter fanfiction. And I've seen other similarities in the books (Just the fact that she ships Drinny is beyond me, but whatever). I just. How can she almost quote it, without even thanking anyone. I'm baffled.

But this not a review about Clare's abilities to credit her stealing, I'm sort of talking about the book here.

I really enjoyed everything, but the ending was very deus ex machina (which is the godly, easy salvation we know so well from the playwrights of Ancient Greece - it was even frowned upon back then.) I ended up liking the book, and the ships that got fulfilled and so on and so on. I really don't have much to say. It was good, but not spectacular.

/out.