linakv

linakv

The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
Deborah Cartmell
Pathways to Language: From Fetus to Adolescent (The Developing Child)
Kyra Karmiloff, Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Why I Write
George Orwell
A Dance With Dragons
George R.R. Martin
The Arabian Nights (New Deluxe Edition)
Anonymous, Muhsin Mahdi, Husain Haddawy
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling
Les Misérables: Volume One
Victor Hugo
Dramaturgy and Performance
Cathy Turner, Synne Behrndt

Legend

Legend  - Marie Lu I've owned this book for quite a while, but I never really bothered to pick it up. I had A Song of Ice and Fire to read, and I figured I should own the rest of the Legend series, since I probably wanted to binge-read it. Let me put it this way: if I somehow obtain the books without having to pay for them, I'll read the rest of the series, if not, I won't. Because, as my two stars say, it was okay.

First of all, the language and writing style of the author, wasn't exactly something that grabbed my attention. It was bland, too easy, and not written well enough. The trouble I have, is that I compare everything dystopian to The Hunger Games, and I have to stop doing that.

Second, the plot was pretty boring. I found that a plague and a couple of floods are both very poorly executions of a dystopian universe. But what's worse, we don't get to know why. In Uglies and in The Hunger Games, we get to know [i]why[/i] everything is pretty much effed up. So yeah, bad execution of universe. And the bad execution isn't even really believable, because we don't get to see it. She doesn't show us, she tells us, and that annoys me.

Third, the characters. I enjoyed the characters mildly. I was mildly intrigued by them, but once again, they are pretty badly executed. Yes, they have colorful backstories, but it didn't really help me understand the characters more. I felt as though the backstories were more excuses than explanations, and that really irked me. Also, the instalove made me want to throw the book across the room. Yes, I understand that a hot guy makes your panties drop, but please, for the love of literature, stop making hot guys change girls lives. It's not doing anybody any justice, especially not the girls.

All in all, it was a very easy read. I didn't enjoy it imensly, but I didn't exactly hate it. It was like reading a magazine on a lazy Saturday, just to have something to do. I needed a break from my heavier reads, and Legend was just that. I feel like the story could have matured a bit more, and that some better choices could have been taken, but all in all, it was ok. A solid okay story.